Saturday, January 29, 2011

Intensives are finished!!

It's been a pretty crazy few weeks around here. I've been teaching another intensive class. The movies class was a for credit class that was only open to university students. The class that I just finished was supposed to be something similar to that. My school asked me to choose an American novel to teach in a two week class.

I thought about the various options I had, and decided that, all things considered, "To Kill a Mockingbird" would be a good choice. It is set at about a 9th grade reading level. I spent quite a bit of time trying to explain to three different people exactly what it would mean for me to teach a class about a novel. The students would have to have a high enough English level to read about 30 pages each night. Every person I tried to explain this to assured me that they understood, and that they wanted a class for high level students.

So. I prepped out this entire class. The first day of class, the administration managed to change my schedule and cancel one of my days of class because they had other KBU duties that they wanted me to participate in. So I scrambled around and reworked the class schedule. Apparently my class was quite popular, and quite a few students had tried to sign up for it. The school capped the class at 10 students, but at the beginning, there were definitely more than that who showed up. In all of the students, there wasn't one single student whose English was good enough to read even a single chapter of the book.

It was definitely an interesting two weeks. Each day I scrambled, trying to find some way that I could actually teach something that would be useful to my students. We never did actually read the book, but we watched the movie and had some good discussion about some of the main themes. I hope that my students learned something. It definitely stressed me out a lot though. Especially since I never knew who would show up. By the end of the class, there was only one student who showed up. It was actually fairly discouraging, but it is finished now. I have to teach one Sunday school lesson tomorrow, then I'm officially on vacation!!

Next week is the Lunar New Year, which is a big huge deal here in Asia. I'm not exactly sure what all the celebrations will entail, but all of my other Foreigner friends have time off from work, so we have some general revelries planned!

This afternoon, some of the guys from my church came over. Two of them are Texans, and they have been missing American style barbeque pretty badly. I made pork barbeque, corn bread, garlic carrots, creamed corn and chocolate chip cookies. And of course, the inevitable Southern sweet iced tea. We spent almost 5 hours sitting around laughing and talking. We all laughed so much that our faces hurt, but we also had some really serious conversations. I can't think of anything better than good food, good friends and good conversation to start off a vacation.

Next week I'm going to be catching up with friends I haven't been able to see much of because of my insane work schedule, and get ready to leave for China. It is pretty crazy to think that in one week, I'll be in yet another foreign country... It will be interesting to see if Korea feels like home when I come back to it after being away for three weeks.

Anyway. Hopefully I'll have time next week to catch up on some of the blog posts I've been meaning to write, but just not had words left for at the end of the day. And there will definitely be adventures to report from China!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats