Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jeju Day Three - It's a Small World!

No, I didn't run into some long lost friends on my third day in Jeju. I actually didn't even see any other foreigners unless I was at my hostel. However, I did venture out to see a "Bunjae Spirited Garden". I wasn't exactly sure what to expect from a name like that, but several people had recommended it to me. It turns out, Bunjae is the Korea word for Bonsai, which is really a Japanese word, but we use in English.

There was this one man who had, all on his own, created this breathtakingly beautiful garden with rocks and miniature trees. There were so many types of trees, in so many shapes.





I don't know what this building was for, but there were buildings shaped like this all over the island. 

This tree totally reminded me of broccoli! 








I wish there was some way to transport all of this into Seoul. 



Next, I went to a rock cliff that had been created by a volcano explosion. Jeju is a volcanic island, so there is black rock EVERYWHERE. I've seen volcanic rock before, but I'd never seen rocks or cliffs quite like this before. 


All of the rocks were pentagonal or octagonal. I don't fully understand how it happens, but I guess it has something to do with lava coming up through the ocean floor. There were a few signs, but unfortunately, just as I arrived and entire middle school from Seoul also arrived. Kids go on trips like this with their school pretty regularly here. But they were really loud, and there were a TON of them, and they were all staring and pointing and whispering about a foreigner being there. A few of the particularly brave ones tried to say hello to me, but they were too embarrassed to have a full conversation. I went to a different part of the park, and enjoyed the views in peace.  





The last activity for the afternoon was going on a boat ride. It was one of those kinda cheesy tourist things, but it was also quite cheap. The views were amazing, and it would have been quite enjoyable, except this is what I heard for the entire 90 minute ride.






There was this one smaller island that had all sorts of cool caves in it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats