Sunday, July 3, 2011

Rocks and Flowers

When we arrived on Geomundo island, we took a boat tour of the Baekdo Islands. They aren't really islands, persay. They are these giant rock formations. Baek means 100, and people used to think that there were 100 of these rock formations. There aren't really 100, but they all have stories and myths behind them. Unfortunately, the tour was entirely in Korean, and my Korean is nowhere near good enough to interpret myths ;)

It was still pretty misty, but there were some lovely views. 


This one reminded me of Lord of the Rings. Doesn't that ring of stones on the top remind you of Weathervane?







After the rocks, we went to Suncheon Bay to check out their gardens and eco park. This cool building was an observatory/gift shop/restaurant. 

I got irrationally excited when I spotted these flowers. They aren't really flowers. They are some type of weed, but they grow in Indiana too. I used to pick them and press them in the set of encyclopedias we had so I could make paper and bookmarks out of them. Seeing as I was a foreigner in a national park, I refrained from picking any flowers to attempt to regain my lost childhood pastime. Also, I don't have any encyclopedias in my apartment. I doubt the flowers would be too impressed if I tried to press them with Wikipedia ;)

These are the reeds that were EVERYWHERE in the park. They were really beautiful. 

There were also lots of lovely flowers. 




Apparently this park was also home to a specific type of mud crab, although I didn't really see many of them. These boats are used for going out in the reeds to do things with the mud crabs. Again, the whole language barrier thing kept me from figuring out the intricacies of the mud crab boats. 

There were lots and lots of people around. It's hard to tell in the small version of the picture, but if you click on it, that line of people pretty much extends as far as the eye can see. 


There was a craft station set up where the kids could make their own wind socks. These two were quite pleased with their work! I absolutely love their faces!






Some of the rocks were really beautiful, but overall I was less impressed with our activities this day than I was the other days of the trip. We spent a really long time on boats and it was really windy ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats