Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A day in the life (almost)

Sometimes, I try to think how to describe what life is like here, but I don't know how to try and convey all of the details that make Korea so different from America, and give it its own charm and culture. I was flipping through the pictures on my phone, and I realized that I have quite a lot of random shots of things that embody Korea, in various ways, but they've never fit into anything else that I've written about... So, without further ado, here are random pictures from the past year that make Korea, well, Korea!




This is in my old neighborhood... Isn't every neighborhood supposed to have a bar called "Cheers"? That's what 80's and early 90's TV told me!


Also in my old neighborhood... Obviously putting the "I" in "IGA". There was an IGA in the tiny little town where I grew up as well....


This is inside a Korean hotel room. Koreans love wallpaper. It's even on the ceiling in my apartment. 


I got so excited one day to see a box of graham crackers on the shelf! This box is *only* about $8. Thankfully, there are perfectly good Korean crackers that work as a substitute at about a quarter of the price!


Whenever a new store opens, the owner's friends send these massive flower stand things with encouraging messages to display in front of the store. 


This is on a university campus in Southeastern Seoul. I've never taught at this school or anything, but they have a nice campus. The graffiti seems to change pretty often. 


This shirt is only $10! I have a good friend whose last name is Foster. If he had a girlfriend, I totally would have purchased this shirt for her! If you can't read it, it says "Foster affection and feel a pleasure". 


I was in a taxi once, and they had TV that you could watch while you were riding. 


Seen outside of a restaurant near where I live now. 


This is a typical Korean cake. They are absolutely beautiful to look at, but they are all beauty and no substance. The frosting is all airy, the cake isn't very sturdy either, and there are often unusual fillings in there. I will say, living here has made me appreciate American cake. 


One of my former students and her work of art at the end of semester party. 


The aforementioned Mr. Foster bottling brew that he and some other friends brewed. I don't actually like beer, but the time to bottle came when everyone else involved in the process was out of town, so I went over to help. 


A random picture on the side of a subway car that didn't make any sense to me. She has paint brushes in her hair. Nobody is ever allowed to make fun of me for my hair sticks again!


This is Namsan Tower, and it's beautiful on clear nights. I live really, really close to it now!


You can get ice cream cake at Baskin Robbins that is pretty good... It isn't as good as Dairy Queen, but beggars can't be choosers.... When you buy ice cream cake, it comes in this massive cooler thing. If you are going to be going far, then they put packets of dry ice in the cooler to keep your cake from melting. 


This is a raspberry, cream cheese, and yogurt ice cream cake. Except for the dark things, which are chocolate, and the three berries, everything there is ice cream. 


I found a pretty awesome grape popsicle last night. It is from a chain called Paris Baguette. The writing says "Grape. Mon amie, mon amour, mon Paris Baguette", which is French for "My friend, my love, my Paris Baguette". I don't understand it. But the popsicle was delicious!


Yesterday, I had to go to Gwanghwamun to go to a bookstore. I thought that this shot represented a part of Seoul rather well. A giant memorial statue, lots of people walking, an ancient palace, mountains in the background, and a long line of cars off to the left. 


Finally, Foster and Thomas came over last night for a cooking lesson. We made curry pan fried salmon, crushed red pepper and parmesan asparagus, and greek roasted sweet potatoes. It was a rather nice meal!


I tried a new route home from work tonight, and I walked past this salon. I know it's hard to read the sign, but it is called "scissor stalker". It sounds like a scary place to get a hair cut. 

I wonder if Einstein Baby milk makes your baby smarter, just like the Baby Einstein movies??

A snack food I've never managed to try. Banana Corn!

This was painted on the side of a wall near where I live. I affectionately call it the sad whale mural. This just brings up oh so many questions about the artist....

Somehow, it was a little odd to see traditional pilgrim characters done in Anime right next to halloween Anime and traditional Korean Anime, all done in cross stitch....

A statue of a random person sitting on top of a club/bar entrance. Maybe they're trying to save money on the bouncer?

I was walking through one of the shopping districts that is popular with Japanese tourists a few weeks ago, and I saw these random street performers. I think they were advertising something. Such performances aren't very common here, but it was highly interesting nonetheless! 

This map is in my office directly above my desk. It is always a little odd, because the continents have swapped sides from what I'm used to. 

You can buy great, cheap jewelry in the subway stations and on street corners. I picked up this necklace for about $3. She's like a little marionette doll. Her joints all move! It makes me really happy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats