Monday, September 26, 2011

Walking Home

I was on the bus, on my way home from work tonight, and I was chatting with my friend Martha. Martha is one of my "back home" friends, and her days are starting just as mine are ending. So it works rather conveniently, and we chat just about every work day. I tried a new way to come home tonight, and at one point, I realized I was on a bus and I had absolutely no clue where I was... Finally, I recognized one of the announcements about a stop, and was able to make it back with no problems.

Martha was right there with me during this whole process, and got a bit of a play by play as I got lost and found again. So when I finally exited the bus, she inquired how far I had to walk to get home. I thought that I'd snap a few pictures of my walk from this particular bus stop back to my apartment. I apologize for the really terrible picture quality. I had books and bread in my hands, and it was dark out.



This is where the bus drops me off. Well, it actually drops me off on the other side of the street, but you get the general idea ;) 


Next, I take a right at the fruit stand. Yes, that is actually fruit and produce, even though you really can't see it. These produce stands are EVERYWHERE in Seoul. The prices are usually quite good, and the produce is quite fresh. 


Looming ahead is the "tunnel of doom". When I went to look at the apartment, the previous tenant went to great lengths to assure me that it wasn't too creepy/scary, and I shouldn't take this apartment off of my list just because of the tunnel. I actually kinda like it. It's nice and echo-y and mysterious!


After the tunnel come the never-ending-stairs. Ok. They really aren't that bad, especially not compared to some of the subway stairs, or all of the stairs I climb at work. But sometimes it feels like there are a lot of them ;)


Past the tunnel is this intersection. My neighborhood is quite quiet, but there are two major tunnels that run under the mountain that merge onto a highway here. Traffic can get a bit heavy sometimes. 


This is the road that I turn onto to get to my apartment. We're almost there! Just one more turn and one more hill. 


This is the final turn/hill combo to get to my place. When I first moved here, I hated this hill... But after walking up and down it multiple times a day, and comparing it with the mountain I climb at work, we are becoming old friends and it isn't such a big deal anymore ;) I do really appreciate how much green there is around my building. The ajumma all have their little vegetable gardens and pots. 


This is my actual building, shot at a funny angle so you couldn't read the address plate on it ;)


Just inside the door, you see all of these stairs. My landlord lives in the basement apartment, and I live on the "2nd" floor. Really, it's just up that tiny flight of stairs to the first landing. 


Finally, we reach my front door. For some reason, it is very hobbit-esque to me. Maybe it's the green and gold. Who knows. But I'm usually quite happy to make it back here!

All said and done, from the bus stop to my apartment door, it is about a 5 minute walk. There's another bus stop that is about a minute away from my apartment (down by the exercise park) that I use when I go to work. When I come back, that bus isn't as convenient, so I've been exploring a number of options to get home again. 

1 comments:

Ariel said...

Love your door! Suiting!

Post a Comment

Stats