Sunday, October 23, 2011

Things I've Seen and Done, Part 2

Here is a random collection of images from things I've seen and done in the past week. 

I saw this advertisement at my school. It is for a new business that has opened in my office building. I'm not sure what "Self Hair Styling" means, but apparently you can experience it for only $5!

I've talked a little bit about buying produce from people on the side of the road. This is a prime example. You know those little mandarin oranges that you can buy in cans? Well, all winter long, I can buy them fresh. They're cheap and delicious. This truck is selling some of the first ones of the season. You can get a medium sized bag for about $2. 

There is a giant bus terminal in Seoul and they have a food court there. It has an amazing bakery with rows and rows of beautiful cakes. Unfortunately, if I were to buy one of these cakes and cut into it, I'd be disappointed. They look good on the outside, but the flavor and texture is nothing like American style cake. Oh, well. At least they're pretty!

Does Johnny Rockets do ketchup art in America too, or is this just a Korean thing? Either way, isn't this the most adorable ketchup cat you've ever seen?

This is what a typical classroom looks like. It took me a few weeks to figure out how to use that smart podium. There is a whole panel of buttons on the wall that I have to use to control it, the screen and the projector. There are also lots of boxes down below for controlling sound, picture quality and input. Fun times. What you can't see is a small stage off to the left. All Korean classrooms have a stage that the professor is supposed to use to lecture. The Korean professors carry around the microphone and pace on the stage. It just feels awkward to me. I only use the mic when I'm sick and losing my voice. 

This is my desk, covered with papers and books from midterms. It's usually a little more organized, I assure you!

I was walking around an area of Seoul I'd never visited before, and I saw this little brewery. I'm not sure what they were brewing -- maybe a marinade for some of the meats they cook here? But whatever it was, it smelled AMAZINGLY good. I tried to translate the name of the store to see if I could figure out what it was.... It came out something like "Black goat --random letters-- smelling --random letters- to bad. Well. That answers that. 

This is what the inside of a fairly typical Italian restaurant looks like. It is very frilly. Very pink. Very feminine. There were Christmas decorations up though, and that made me happy!

This was across the street from the Italian restaurant. The black part of the sign says" Peggy Pie. To discover for you sensation of pie when you touch" and the green part says "Peggy Pie warm smile baked sandwich tasty pie store fancy Deli I wish you joy". 

This is the campus for a really famous university. It isn't the one where I teach though. I wish I could get a picture that would actually convey what this place is like. It is massive, and quiet, and the lights are beautiful. Somehow, despite the minimalist architecture, it feels very welcoming. It is surrounded by a lovely topiary garden, and it is a good place to sit and talk or think. 

Finally, there was a store called "Natural Laundry". The rest of the sign says, "Don't be so uptight take deep breathes Just relax and let the tensio our of shouldors" then, "Covent Garden covent Garden Fritzrouie Charlotte street"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which university is that? and the window of the brewery says "onion and grape puree."

Sarah said...

It's at Ehwa. If you go out of exit 2 of Ehwa station and keep walking straight, it's pretty close to the main entrance of the campus.

Post a Comment

Stats