Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I couldn't believe my ears...

I have a friend who invited me to go to a concert on Sunday night. I almost didn't go, because Sunday was a long day and I was tired. However, I decided that I really need to start trying to make myself do things other than going to school. So, I hopped on the subway and went to the concert. It was described to me as a Korean gospel choir. I was a little skeptical.

In order to understand my skepticism, you have to understand my general exposure to Korean music thus far. I've heard Korean traditional and classical music, which doesn't sound Western at all. Most of the music I've heard is Kpop. Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for some Kpop. But it certainly isn't anything like gospel music. Listen to the first part of this song, and you'll see what I mean.



It's cute, and it will get stuck in your head... But it left me skeptical about a gospel choir. I was most pleasantly surprised to hear this when the concert started. You really should listen to the whole thing. It's good, I promise!



It was a pretty awesome evening! They had the words on the screen in Korean and English for every song, so everyone in the audience was singing in a mix of languages. The choir was an absolute joy to watch! At one point, the tenor section go so excited that they knocked their microphone stand over ;-) I was pretty tired when I eventually made it home, but it was well worth staying out late! For those of you in Korea, you should go check them out! They sing on the first Sunday of each month at Hyehwa station on line 4!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats