Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Where there's a will....

I like to cook and bake. A lot. It is one of the things that I have missed the most since moving to Korea. I have been having some difficulty in dealing with cultural differences/personality differences with one of my Korean co-workers, and I had pretty much had it. I really wanted to try and bake something. The only problem is, I don't have an oven in my tiny apartment. However, I did not graduate from Purdue for nothing ;-)

I started to think about what exactly it was an oven did, and what crazy things I could do to replicate one. So, I took out a skillet and put my stove on really low heat. Then, I took the lid from my pot to hold the heat in and create a very miniature, very makeshift sort of oven thing. I bought some chocolate squares in one of the underground subway shops, and made some chocolate chip cookies.

Cookie dough waiting to be "baked"



Evidence of the decided lack of chocolate chips in South Korea



The "oven"!!



See? They are getting all nice and puffy, just like cookies are supposed to get!



The finished product... So, they look a little bit like mini chocolate chip pancakes... But they tasted like cookies!

3 comments:

Beth H said...

Very cute chocolate chip 'pancakes'! :) So glad you found a way to still bake.

Charlie Fehrman said...

favorite line: "I didn't go to Purdue for nothing" Brett and G'pa F would be SO proud. LOL

dfehrman said...

That's my girl! Did you get to "plop" the butter, too? xoxo

Post a Comment

Stats