Monday, August 29, 2011

The story behind the haircut

So a lot of people have been asking about my recent haircut... When I left Korea, my hair was quite long. It was just an inch or two away from hitting my waist. I loved my long hair, and I was quite excited, because it was getting close to my goal length!! I usually wore it up, so I don't really have any pictures that show the length.

I am naturally a medium ash blonde color, but I've often dyed my hair various colors. In Korea, I dyed it a nice dark auburn color. I've dyed it this color several times before, and then gone back to the blonde color. It's a bit of a process to get from dark back to light, but it's quite possible.

When I was in America, I decided that I was going to go back to my blonde, and stay there this time since my hair was getting so long. I decided to spend the money to go to a nice salon in Indianapolis so that it would get done properly. Only that didn't exactly happen.

The lady who did my hair was really sweet and nice, but I don't think she quite knew what to do with my hair. It's super thick, and it was quite long. I spent over three hours in the salon, and by the time we finished, my entire scalp hurt like crazy, a good 5 inches of the ends of my hair had been ripped and torn, and my hair was barely any lighter than when I came in. It was also a lot more red than it was before, and the color wasn't very even. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy about it.

I gave my hair as much time as I could to recover from what it had been through, and the day before I came back to Korea, I drove three hours to where I grew up to see another stylist that I knew and trusted. I should have gone to her in the first place, but I was trying to avoid the drive down there. She'd never seen anything quite like my hair. We went through 7 individual color processes, each involving multiple types of dye, and none of it was able to remove the red and even out the color.

Neither of us could think of anything to do, so in the end, we had to cut all of my hair off. We were able to get that part a lighter color, and she sent me back to Korea with three different kinds of dye to continue to work to bring it back to its natural color... But my hair is quite short now. It's above my shoulders.

Thankfully, it grows quite fast, and in another three years or so, I should be back down to waist length hair. But still.... It's annoying, because short hair requires significantly more effort to care for than long hair does, and I still miss my long hair. ::sigh:: I guess I can't have too much of a pity party, because I did bring it on myself. The lesson we can learn from this is don't dye your hair about 9 shades darker than your natural color and expect to escape the consequences!!

2 comments:

Craig said...

I think your short hair looks better -- certainly, more professional (and professorial). Sorry about the ordeal of this, though!

Sarah said...

I'm glad that someone likes it ;) I still think that a classic french twist is more professional than the slightly messy look, but it is what it is. I'm glad to hear you guys survived the hurricane!

Post a Comment

Stats