Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lunar New Year Gifts

Lunar New Year is rapidly approaching. It is often called Chinese New Year in America, although it isn't called that here. For obvious reasons. This year is a big celebration, because 2012 is the year of the dragon. I will be celebrating Lunar New Year by flying to America, but most people celebrate by giving gifts, bowing to ancestors and eating a special soup that makes you a year older. 

The whole getting a year older thing still kinda throws me off sometimes. In less than a week, I'll be turning 27. My actual biological age is 25, but culturally speaking, I add two years. Everyone has their actual birthday celebration, then everyone adds a year on Lunar New Year, whenever it may fall. I've heard this is especially shocking for expats who are nearing the 30 mark. 

Gift giving is also really important. Many parents give money to their children, and my students all tell me this is the best part of the holiday. However, if you want to give a gift to someone who isn't a child, or to a co-worker, there are different options for that. Giving box sets seems to be a big thing here. It doesn't matter what the holiday is, there are always piles and piles of box sets that go on sale in anticipation of the gift giving season. The first time I saw these gift boxes up close, I was surprised. You see, gift boxes are different here. In America, maybe your box would be some nice lotion and soap, or cheese and sausage. Here are some examples of gift boxes that are quite common in Korea. For price conversion purposes, just assume that 1,000 Korean won is the same as 1 US dollar. It isn't exact, but it gives you a ballpark. 

This is the display rack outside of a grocery store in a busy neighborhood in Seoul. 

Shampoo, body wash, soap and toothpaste. 

Two bottles of canola oil and one bottle of grapeseed oil. I actually almost bought one of these, because that's a rather good price for oil here. 

The combo pack. Oil, tuna and generic SPAM. 

This seems to be quite popular, especially around lunar new year. It's a gift box of SPAM. For $50. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats