Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Welcoming the new arrival!

I got my first paycheck yesterday. This is a terribly exciting event for any number of reasons! After I got off of work yesterday, one of my American colleagues and I went to one of the electronics stores near our apartment building. We bought such essential things as blenders, an oven for me and a crock pot for Qiana.

We managed to communicate which models we wanted of each item, and we were able to pay for them ourselves. However, my oven had to be delivered because a) it weighs nearly 50 pounds and b) they didn't have it in stock at that particular store. However, arranging this was beyond our ability in Korean. Thankfully, there was an employee at the store who spoke quite good English who was able to help us out.

This evening, I was on the subway on my way home from work and my phone rings. I answer it, and it is the delivery man who is speaking very fast Korean. I recognized the name of the store, the word for "oven" and the name of my apartment building, so I figured that he was trying to tell me that he was there to deliver the oven and wondered where I was. I was about ten minutes away from home, and managed to tell him that.

When I got back to my apartment, he was standing in the hallway waiting for me with a rather large box. I was really glad that I didn't have to arrange to get it home by myself! He helped me get it all unpackaged and set up. We couldn't communicate well enough for him to show me how to use it though. After he left, I dug out my Korean dictionary and started trying to translate things.


I am happy to report that I was able to figure out enough to get it on the oven setting, set the correct temperature and time, and successfully bake some banana bread!! However, there are lots of other settings that I'm pretty clueless about. I think I'm going to need help trying to figure them out. Without further ado, here are the pictures!





1 comments:

Beth H said...

That is such a cute little oven!! I like the flowers on it. :)

Post a Comment

Stats