Thursday, December 8, 2011

A new addition to the household

My computer died last week. It was quite sad. Thankfully, it died in enough stages that I was able to salvage all of my data off of it. However, this left me in a bit of a bind. So I decided to go online and buy a new computer. This wasn't a big deal. I'd purchased computers online before. There were just two problems. 1, all of the computer buying websites are in Korean and 2, the model numbers are Korea-specific model numbers, so there were no user reviews available to browse.

In the end, I settled on one, held my breath and clicked "buy". Then I sat and waited, hoping that it wouldn't turn out to be a big mistake. A few days later, my doorbell rang, and I saw this sitting on my doorstep:

I brought it into the house, and opened up the box. There were surprises waiting for me. 

Thankfully, they were the good kind of surprises. The company threw in a free 4 GB thumb drive and a 4 port USB hub. 


Naturally, since I bought the computer in Korea, it has a Korean plug on it. This is quite useful for now. It was annoying to always use the plug adapters. They don't always fit into the sockets very well. It will potentially be interesting when I come back to America, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. 

This picture is pretty terrible, so you can't really see.... But when I turned the computer on, everything was in Korean. I got a little worried. I knew that with Windows 7, I'd have the option to choose my language, but for a moment I was afraid that some technician somewhere had helpfully set up my computer for me, and my shot at an English OS was gone. Thankfully, it wasn't, and my computer is all in English now. 

I'm quite excited about this. I now have a dual language keyboard. See the alt key next to the space bar? That lets me toggle between English and Korean. I have to set up some other stuff within the computer to do that, but it shouldn't be too big of a deal. 

This is how a spent a good portion of the evening on Tuesday. The soft light of two LCD screens and some Christmas lights. Everything is basically up and running now, so posting and such should become a little more regular. Hooray for this little adventure having a happy ending!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Stats